Personalized Counsel. Customized Legal Services.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Announcements
  4.  » Who will serve as Personal Representative of an Estate?

Who will serve as Personal Representative of an Estate?

by | Dec 30, 2014 | Announcements, General, Law Articles, Local News |

The Florida Bar states: “If the decedent had a valid will, the judge will appoint the person or institution named by the decedent in his or her will to serve as personal representative, as long as the named person or bank or trust company is legally qualified to serve.

If the decedent did not have a valid will, the surviving spouse has the first right to be appointed by the judge to serve as personal representative. If the decedent was not married at his or her death, or if the decedent’s surviving spouse declines to serve, the person or institution selected by a majority in interest of the decedent’s heirs will have the second right to be appointed as personal representative. If the heirs cannot agree among themselves, the judge will appoint a personal representative after a hearing is held for that purpose.” If I can assist you with you probate, estate planning or guardianship needs please feel free to call me at (904)366-2703 or email me at [email protected].